Jun 22, 2009

How to Catch a Brook Trout

I've often been asked how to I catch a brook trout. And I usually answer with a line and hook. Now most of them know that I'm just kidding around with them, but if you think about it, that is the basis of catching any fish. Now the big question is what kind of line and what's on the hook. Also in what water to put the line and hook.

As far as line goes I prefer to use 4lb. monofilament. That is of course, when I am spinning or bait fishing. For fly fishing I prefer lighter weight of fly line coupled with a light smaller fly rod, and a reel to match the rod. When running monofilament line I prefer to use an ultralight rod and reel.

For hooks I prefer to use the smaller variety most times. Spinners and spoons I will use in the #0 to #1 size for most of my fishing. But obviously if you're going for bigger Brook trout like record size, much bigger lures will be needed. Considering the average Brookie in most streams will be between six and 8 inches with the odd one finding the 12 to 14 inch mark,the smaller spinners and spoons will be fine.

I do however tend to use larger bait hooks when I'm fishing for Speckles. The reason for this is that the trout have less tendency to swallow the bait completely. But if they swallowed the bait down there gullet it's almost impossible to release them without seriously hurting them. So the larger bait hooks prevent the brookies from swallowing the bait completely.

Brook trout can be found in clear cool streams. Also in bigger rivers and lakes that have the right temperature. For the Brook trout to survive they need temperatures of 60°F and below. So if you can find these conditions you may find some Brook trout. Now do not overlook smaller streams, some only a couple feet wide, because you never know if the temperature is right and there's lots of cover, there very well could be some nice trout for you to catch.

Now if you would like to learn more on how to catch Brook trout, like were to go, what to look for and also what to use please visit http://www.squidoo.com/ontariofishguide

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Rolland_Meigs

1 comment:

Add to Technorati Favorites
Increase your PageRank