Apr 26, 2009

Crappie Rods & Reels - The Good, Bad & Ugly

Crappie rods & reels have come a long way since I started my fishing career at the age of 5, the only thing I could or should I say was allowed to use was a cane pole and did I ever see some take off across the lake. My dad graduated me to a closed face Shakespeare crappie rod & reel setup that wouldn't cast 10 feet. Modern technology has come a long way these days, now the average person has the daunting tasks of listening to all of the crappie rods & reels salesmen tell you just how great these crappie rods & reels really are, I call them the good, bad & ugly series. Yes there are still some crappie rods & reels setups that are bad, you get what you pay for and if this is your sport then invest in one that is going to last.

There are plenty of crappie rods & reels that are around thirty dollars, you take the rod with your little pinkie and bend it over double, and the reel that comes with it you will probably strip the plastic gears when you catch a sizable crappie with it. I am going to show you that spending a little extra money will bring you a lot of great times with your new crappie rods & reels setup that will last for years to come. You have to look at the type of reel that you like, do you prefer a spinning reel, closed face or a small to medium size baitcaster.

Abu-Garcia Revo S series has 8 ball bearings with 1 roller bearing solid case with a carbon matrix drag system, 3 words for this one, bad to the bone for around 100.00, I have had mine for a few years and all I have had to do is clean & change the line. I also have enjoyed my spinning crappie rods & reels, a couple of my favorites that will cast a small jig a country mile is my Shimano Symetre with a rear fighting drag and virtually no line twist, you can adjust fighting drag as you go without breaking your line for any size crappie you bring up, then add a falcon low-rider rod to it and you can feel the slightest bump. This is a winning setup for the crappie angler for around 200.00 dollars and it will last forever.

Everyone has a budget but in my opinion these two crappie rods & reels setup will make you a hero on the boat or pier fishing with friends or family or in a crappie tournament. I also like the rods that I buy to be a medium action rod, here is the reason for this, when you are fishing heavy cover whether it may be stumps, rock piles or a brush pile you need to have a strong enough rod to be able to get them out of the structure that you are fishing. Using a light action rod in my opinion the crappie have control over you, a lot of people say that you will catch more crappie using a light 4 pound line, that is fine if you are fishing clear waters, but in murky or stained waters I use 12 to 14 lb line and most of the time catch my limit. Tight lines to you all and remember, when you want performance for years to come then do your research that will best suit you for all of your crappie rods & reels.

Take a look at our crappie rod & reels pics at http://www.fishingforcrappie.com.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Robert_Tannery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites
Increase your PageRank