Apr 26, 2009

Fishing For a Better Lifestyle

A little more than ten years ago I was sitting around my apartment thinking, I've got to stop wasting my life. I'd get off work on Friday afternoons and go home and sit in my apartment until Monday morning. Now don't get me wrong, I did laundry, grocery shopping and some cleaning. But otherwise all I did was sit in front of my television and drink beer. I was even doing the same thing when I was on vacation. Great life, huh?

Why I fell into this lifestyle

One of the reasons I had this kind of life is that I always thought I didn't make enough money to do anything fun. But I was getting sick of this lifestyle, something had to give.

So I sat back and thought, what do I like to do? Truthfully, I wasn't sure because I had been leading this lifestyle I was in for years and had forgotten.

Waking up

Then it hit me. When I was a kid, my father and grandfather used to take me fishing a lot. Whether it was at the local lake or down at the New Jersey shore where we would fish and crab in the bays, or even every once in a while, deep sea fishing on a party boat.

So the more I thought about it, the more I thought I'd like to try getting back into fishing. Of course, I was trying to figure out if I could afford it. But I started to think the initial expense couldn't be that much. I could get a fishing rod and reel at the local department store for under $30. I could get a cheap tackle box for under $15.00. Then I could by some hooks, bobbers, sinkers, maybe even an artificial lure or two for not much more money. Oh, and of course I had to give the state their money so I could have a little fun, so I had to buy a fishing license.

All in all I know I spent less then $100 that first year on equipment and fished all summer long. Now, remember, I was just doing this to get out of the house. I wasn't looking to become the next Bill Dance or anything, I just wanted to start enjoying life and the outdoors little bit.

Go fishing

Think about it, especially in today's economy. If you could find something to do every weekend for the whole summer and it only cost $100, don't you think you might give it a try? Keep in mind, that equipment will last you more than one summer.

I don't want to be misleading, because you will still have to spend a little cash each time you go fishing. You've got to buy bait, whether it's worms, minnows, or whatever you find works for you. Heck, my girlfriend (now my wife) once told me her grandfather would use chicken livers to catch catfish, and man let me tell you it works. They cost less than $2 a container at the grocery store.

Finally, if you have children think of the memories you can be creating as well as the hobby you and your children will be able to share the rest of your lives.

So, get up, grab your gear and go fishing.

Not sure where to go or what gear to buy? Check out http://www.waters-edge-outdoors.com for gear reviews, information on lakes in the southeast U.S. and more.

Paul Klaebel is a Pennsylvania native living in Memphis, Tennessee. He loves to spend his free time on the lake trying to outwit the bass.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Paul_Klaebel

By Paul Klaebel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites
Increase your PageRank